Hi there. For some time now I have been thinking about moving from my home town of Cleveland OH to a new location where the weather is more forgiving. However, I have not even job hunted anywhere because I have many fears and anxiety regarding such a move. I know many people start new lives in new locations every day. They follow their dreams; weather it involves looking for a new job, following a love, or seeking a place where the weather is nicer. Then why is it that I am so frightened at the prospect of leaving my comfort zone where my family and friends are alway present providing me with support and a social life. Heck, I can even boast that I have friendships that date back to grade school. I have six siblings that have always provided a close sense of family as well as companionship. My daughters are a steady constant in my life for whom I talk to daily. Even friends I have made since adulthood are there to call whenever I want to share a bite to eat or just have girl talk. However, I feel these friends I have made since adulthood made the initation in the beginning of our relationships. Hopefully they feel I have done my part in keeping the friendship. This statement is a realization that I have always had people in my life without having to make any effort.
While reading back this paragraph I realize how fortunate and lucky I am to have always had so many wonderful people in my life. However, I also I believe it is the reason I have never had to work on establishing my own social network or join any groups in order to meet people. Nor have I ever had to go anywhere or do anything on my own. I have never had to extend myself in anyway regarding new relations. Even though I know this has been a blessin I also feel, in some ways, it may have also prevented me from growing on a personal level. Again, I would not change these things for anything. However I am the type of person who feels without constant personal growth, I will never be or have all that life has to offer.
I am at such a good place in my life to have adventures and travel the world to do anything I want. I am a free bird as only a fellow Aquarian can understand what pure bliss this is for me. I am on my own. I don't own a home, I have a profession that can be transferred, my children are grown, my grandchildren don't need me, no family member depends on me. Heck, I don't even own a pet. So what's holding me back. Oh yeah, Me!! Thats what's holding me back.
Recently my daughter moved to Asia. I get inspiration from her thinking that if she could do it, I should be able to. I am also inspired by the spirit of my grandmother, who at a young age traveled accross the ocean from Ireland to start a new life in America. She did not have the mass communication that we do. She may have left home thinking that perhaps she would never see her family again. I also wonder what her experience, thoughts, and feelings were during that time.
In order to try to understand what it would be like for me to move to a new city, I have come up with the idea of approaching my future as if I were new in town and did not know a soul. I'm realistic in the fact that I could never really duplicate that experience until I really move. However this is just an excercise in testing my comfort level at doing something new. I think this has been my theme for the last four years, gettting out of my comfort zone and doing things I have never done before.
I will be venturing out into the big city of Cleveland alone. Maybe I'll even make some new friends while out and about while having fun. I know for many of you this is not a stretch. However, I also know from talking to folks daily that there are many of you out there that feel the same as I do. Afraid to do anything alone. Some folks won't even go to a movie by themself, feeling self conscious. Why do we always think that everyone is noticing us, perhaps feeling pity at our lonley existance. lol The fact is, sorry to say, that probably no one is noticing us at all.
I invite you to come on this journey with me to not only explore this city we call home, but to share the experience, thoughts, and feelings I will surely have during my time as a new gal in town.
My first adventure will be to go on a tour of Cleveland on Lolly the Trolly. I think this is a great way to find out what this city is really about. A new person in town would surely benefit from this type of adventure. I will be journaling all my outings in this blog so I can share the new things I found to do alone. But more importantly what it might be like to start a new life in a new town. Please feel free to comment back and share you feelings, or perhaps an experiences you have had regarding change.
What is the one thing in your life you have always wanted to do, but not sure if you have the courage to forge ahead to follow your dream? Tell me, I want to know?
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart, give yourself to it"
Buddha
I've always wanted to practice abroad. :) Go Buddha! xo
ReplyDelete